Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Teaching for Students' Success

I came into the classroom for the first day as a teacher with my tutoring mindset. My goal was, and is, two-fold: 1) get the students to succeed mathematically and 2) help the students love math as a subject as much as I do (okay maybe as much as I do is unrealistic...but still, appreciation is a goal of mine).

The challenge arose with what I defined as classroom mathematical success. My desire to make about 20 students understand 100% of the material that I was teaching made Day 1 overwhelming. I came in confident in both my knowledge of the curriculum and my communicative abilities, but I wasn’t ready for the flood of different personalities and abilities. As a tutor, I worked with students who virtually all wanted to learn -- which is why they were seeking help. Obvious newsflash #1 to myself: not all high school students want or are able to sit in a classroom and learn mathematics. Their reasons could vary from simply the newfound raging hormones coursing through their veins to family and psychosocial issues.

After teaching a lesson, I walk around the classroom, glancing over students’ work on practice problems that I assign, trying to see if they understood what I had just taught. If I saw a student that did not understand, I’d kneel down or pull up a chair and guide them through the process. (I find it important to meet at eye level with the student and not literally look down on them.) The tutor in me wanted to spend the necessary time to give each student enough time to master every concept. I ignored the basic math that averaging 5-10 minutes per student times 18 students is going to translate to a very slow paced class -- and one that leaves the top 50 percent of the class occasionally bored. Even with two other adults in the classroom (a second co-teacher and a tutor), it was tiring and ultimately unrealistic to get 100% of the class at 100% comprehension.

Reconciling my desire for education with the reality of time constraints and students’ abilities (both inherently and based on previous education) has been my first true challenge. Being adept at explaining topics in multiple ways is critical, and presenting material in a digestible and logical manner is something that I expected would carry the load. Within this early stage, I’ve realized that isn’t the case. However, I am paired up with a great teacher who has taught high school math for many years. I’m ecstatic that he is my mentor as someone who will continue to be critical to my development as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. I have only imagined the challenges teachers face each day. Thank you for sharing exactly what it's like from the classroom -- and perspective of the "leader of learning". With the added distraction of summertime --just out the window -- and friends outside, I can't begin to think of the challenge of presenting math to a room of teenagers. Bravo to you and your team!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete