Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Parting Thoughts

This Wednesday I ended my tenure as a high school mathematics teacher for the algebra II program that lasted five weeks. I feel that it was the most fun that I have had in a job so far and also the most rewarding. The students mathematical improvement from the pre-assessment to the post-assessment was astronomical and my co-teacher, a veteran of many years, said that he had never seen such an improvement. We had a bright group of kids and I like to believe that I helped them reach their potential in the classroom.

Hopefully they take their newfound math knowledge to the classroom during the regular school year and I know that this experience as a teacher has not only shaped my introductory experience to the profession but has also made me a better learner. I know how to dissect topics more in-depth which gives me an opportunity to create a more fundamental and powerful understanding of the material.

I do not foresee this experience being the last time I involve myself in secondary education. These students are our future and I hope to lend a hand to help guide them in the right direction as I pursue a career of my own. Thanks again to everybody who has read these posts and feel free to voice your opinions, comments, or general thoughts!

- Elijah

No comments:

Post a Comment